What You’ll Need:
- Ceramic Wine Bottle Stoppers like these
- Acrylic Enamel Paint. These paints can be heat set in an oven so that your wares are washable. I like the Liquitex Glossies brand because the paints are very pigmented + opaque. Here are the basic colors you’ll need to create just about every emoji face:
- Golden Brown
** Remember ** Red + Yellow = Orange (for the blushing cheeks) | Red + White = Pink (for the tongue) | Blue + White = Lighter Blue (for the tears and/or sweat)
- Sponge or medium sized paint brush for applying the yellow base coat
- Small paint brush for applying the facial details
- Super Glue
- Oven. Nothing special, just an oven that can bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit
Here we go!
- Paint the ceramic pieces yellow, one layer at a time. Acrylic paint dries rather quickly so I would advise giving each ceramic knob one layer of yellow paint, waiting about 5 minutes, then going back over them with another coat. You may even fancy 3 coats for good measure.
- Paint the facial details. Not all emoji faces are created equal so some are simpler to paint than others. The good thing is that this paint can easily be wiped or washed off, as long as it hasn’t been heat set in the oven. So don’t be afraid to attempt your favorite faces! And if all else fails, just go for this guy. You can do it!
- Let dry for 24 hours.
- Bake in the oven (as long as the corks are not attached to the ceramic). Place the ceramic pieces in a cool oven. Then turn the oven to 325 degrees. In 45 minutes, turn off the oven and let the pieces cool with the oven. (If ceramic pieces come attached to the cork, skip this step and just make sure you use minimal water to cleanse them).
- Glue the cork to the ceramic pieces. First read the instructions on the back of the glue container. Mine boldly states: “only a dab will do ya” (an accurate interpretation). Overzealous super gluers, consider yourself warned.
- Let the glue dry for a few hours. I waited a day before using mine, just to be sure everything set.
These make great gifts and would be way fun to make with friends while drinking a bottled beverage or two.
But… if you keep them for yourself, you’ll always feel like there’s someone around who gets how you’re feeling today, which can be comforting.